Friday, May 8, 2009

SIZZLE, SIZZLE, SIZZLE ~ YUM!

One of the best cookbooks I have is Dorie Greenspan's Baking from My Home To Yours. The amazing thing about her book, at least when I was with Tuesdays with Dorie is I thought I had looked through it all and then someone would pick a recipe and I would think, hey I didn't see that and it sounds amazing. Well, The Cornbread Gospels is just like that.

I made some regular cornbread yesterday from the book because I was craving it and then I saw another amazing recipe that I need to try. By the way this cornbread recipe BLOWS Jiffy out of the water. Sorry Jiffy, but this one is lighter and more moist. We loved it. I can see why it was a frequently requested recipe at the Bed and Breakfast that Crescent Dragonwagon ran.

DAIRY HOLLOW HOUSE SKILLET SIZZLED CORNBREAD
The Cornbread Gospels, by Crescent Dragonwagon; Workman Publishing, NY

1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup stone ground corn meal
1 tablespoon baking pwder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup mild vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter or mild vegetable oil

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 10 inch cast iron skillet with oil and set aside.

2. Sift together the flour, cornmeal and baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.

3. In a smaller bowl, stir the baking soda into the buttermilk. Whisk in the sugar, egg, and the 1/4 cup of oil.

4. Put the prepared skillet over medium heat, add the butter, and heat until the butter melts and is just starting to sizzle. Tilt the pan to coat the sides and the bottom.

5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine them quickly, using as few strokes as possible. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cornbread until it is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool for a few moments and slice into wedges and serve.

9 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love cornbread, Lori. This looks like a terrific recipe.

kat said...

Yum, a warm slice of that with some honey butter!

Screamin' Mama said...

Love cornbread! I like mine sweet. I think my recipe calls for one cup of sugar!!

Shari said...

Nothing better than warm cornbread, fresh out of the oven. This one sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lori from the blog....

Lori, I hope you get back to read this. Malt powder is used to sweeten and help brown the rolls. This is not ovaltine. Malt powder is available in health food stores. I've never used malt syrup, so what follows is a guess...honey can be used to replace sugar, so shouldn't you be able to substitute malt syrup for sugar as well. Be careful though malt has a very distinct flavor.

Dewi said...

Lori,
I never made corn bread before, maybe I will try to do that next. Look yummy Lori!

Bunny said...

Oh if you only knew how much I love cornbread! Bookmarking this one!!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I've been looking for a good recipe for this. I'm definitely going to try this out even though I'll have to make butter milk by shaking cream inside tupperware. Then I guess I'll also have fresh butter for the corn bread so it's all good. :)

grace said...

just two tablespoons sugar and a cast-iron skillet--THAT'S the way it's done, lori. :)