Sunday, May 10, 2009

SPAGHETTI PIE


I came down the stairs today and saw a pile of dishes to put away in the drainboard. We were at a party last night, a wedding party and I was just too tired to put them away. I was hoping they would magically disappear this morning. Ahem, oh hubbie... They were there, in the drainboard, waiting patiently for me to put them away. I was a little disappointed that my DH did not help me out here. But then I took a step back as I put them away and thought to myself. Geez, I am really being silly here. So what? They are dishes. I resolved that today no matter what my jobs are I will, am grateful to have a loving and devoted husband and two beautiful children.

I am almost too embarassed to post that little blurb because it sounds so childish and selfish. I will post it for humilities sake.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothering, nurturing and kind women out there! To all of you who toil and recieve little thanks. To those of you who are single and do not have anyone by your side to help. To those of you who work from sun up to sun down. To those of you who sacrifice yourself for others. To those of you who nurture others selflessly. To those of you who bite your lip when you want to scream. To those of you who aren't even mothers but always manage to spread love, kindness and nurturing to others... Celebrate yourself today!

SPAGHETTI PIE
Do not underestimate the amazing qualities of this simplistic pie. Use the right cheese and fresh ingredients and you will be rewarded with deliciousness.

1 lb of spaghetti, cooked and drained
1/2 of a pound of gruyere or a really sharp cheddar
1 cup of roasted red peppers, chopped
1 1/2 cups of onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup carrots, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup milk
4 eggs, whole
2 egg whites
s and p to taste
lots 'o' fresh basil... like a half of a cup, chiffonade
1/4 cup parsely
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil

Cook spaghetti until al dente, drain and set aside.

In a large pot melt butter and add olive oil. Add carrots and onions and saute until soft. Add minced garlic and cook one minute more. Set aside.

Finely chop parsley and add to vegetable mixture. Add basil, paprika salt and pepper, green onion. roasted peppers. Mix in spaghetti to the vegetables. Combine thoroughly. Pour into two prepared, nine inch pie plates or a large tube pan. (The tube pan helps the mixture cook thoroughly. If you do not have a tube pan, pour into pie plates.)

In a bowl, whisk eggs. Add milk. Whisk. Pour evenly over the mixture in the pans. Place grated cheese over top and mix in a little with your fingers or a fork.

Place the uncovered pans in the oven and turn on the oven to 400F. Bake until golden about thirty minutes. Remove from oven and let set up for about ten minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.

15 comments:

Megan said...

I like this recipe. It sounds simple enough and with a new twist on spegetti. Love the photo!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks so good, Lori. It's more than Bob and I could ever eat alone, but I've bookmarked it for the grandson's visit. Happy Mother's Day. Hugs.

Sara said...

Happy Mother's day! This looks delicious, and unique too! Of course, who doesn't love pasta :)?

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I know exactly what you mean about the 'dishes'. I think many people do. :)

Bunny said...

I have to try this, I've seen this before but have yet to make it. It looks so good. Happy Mother's Day Lori!

Jude said...

I think the DH needs to get smacked upside the head. As for you, Happy Mother's Day! :)

vibi said...

I'm keeping this one... it looks totaly decadent! ...Just what I expect from good comfort food (spaghetti being my number one comfort food, that's close enough!!!)

Thanks for sharing, Lori!

kat said...

I know where you are coming from. Matt works so hard to support us & yet sometimes I still wish he'd do more housework even though that's "my" job...think I'm still in the mindset from when I had a job outside the house

Shelly said...

Since I quit my job to work at home hubby rarely does the dishes...when I came home from the cabin this week he had done them - I nearly tipped over! lolol
Looove the spaghetti pie, I make a very similar version but hubby and my BIL get cranky if I don't put ground beef in it - I love the vegetarian version best. Yummm.

grace said...

i don't think there's any kind of pie i wouldn't like, and this is certainly no exception. i love the components of it, and it's just so awesomely presented!

Anonymous said...

this looks sooooooooooo good!

Unknown said...

As a teenager I had a friend whose mom would always make baked spaghetti. I am so trying this soon.
Sara/Imafoodblog.com

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Mmmm, I've made one before it was very good.

I will keep what you said in mind because I am often perturbed by the lack of assistance from a certain person. Though its more from his inability to tell the three little people, who are not so little any more to clean up THEIR stuff. Ggrrr! :)

I am very lucky because he gets up every morning and goes to work and comes home every night! Oh, and hasn't beaten me once even when I deserved it! Hee-hee:)
~ingrid

Abby said...

this looks amazing! i bet it tastes good cold as a packed lunch too.

http://www.eattherightstuff.com/

chow and chatter said...

they look amazing, lucky kids