Monday, May 11, 2009

Yum - Mammo Nanaimo Bars

Although I did eat two of these bars, the rest are safely hiding in the freezer. You may be wondering about my weight loss adventure. I am still at 25 pound loss. I am holding steady here, while I read a book called "I Can Make You Thin". I know it sounds a little hokey but it could be quite possibly the most logical, helpful weight loss book I have ever read. It's about mindful eating. You know that feeling when you sit down to watch a movie with a bowl of popcorn and suddenly you are sitting with an empty popcorn bowl. Well, that is the kind of thing I aim to stop and this book has some real pointers.

Okay back to the fattening stuff because thats more fun. See, now that's a bad attitude.

I have been making some dessert bars for upcoming shindig and these Nanaiamo bars are something I have been wanting to make for a while. Glad I did because they are delicious. They will be great for the party.
MINT NANIAMO BARS (non baked)

Crust:
1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten

Filling:
1 teaspoon mint extract
3 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons vanilla instant pudding (no custard powder here)
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
green food coloring

Topping:
8 oz. semi sweet chocolate, chips or chopped small
2 tablespoons butter

In a bowl stir together crumbs, coconut and almonds. In a sauce pan stir together butter sugar and cocoa until butter melts. Remove from heat and whisk in egg quickly. Press into a 8 inch square pan and refrigerate while doing the next layer.

Beat together icing sugar, butter, vanilla pudding powder and mint extract. When mixture is combined, spread over the base evenly. Chill in the refrigerator until chocolate layer is ready.

Topping: In a double boiler or bain marie, stir together butter and chocolate until smooth. Spread over mint layer.

ORANGE NANIAMO BARS (baked)


Crust:

1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cocoa powder
1 egg beaten

Grand Marnier Layer:

2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup Grand Marnier
1 tablespoon orange zest

Topping:
4 oz. semi sweet chocolate, chopped or chips
1 tablespoon butter

In a bowl stir together crumbs, coconut and almonds. In a sauce pan stir together butter sugar and cocoa until butter melts. Remove from heat and whisk in egg quickly. Press into a 9 inch square pan and bake at 350F for about ten minutes. Let cool.

Grand Marnier Layer: Beat together icing sugar, butter and orange rind. When mixture is combined, spread over the base evenly. Chill in the refrigerator until chocolate layer is ready.

Topping: In a double boiler or bain marie, stir together butter and chocolate until smooth. Spread over Grand Marnier layer.

*I actually liked the texture of the unbaked one better. But they were both good. The Grand Marnier one is a bit strong. I imagine you could just substitute orange juice instead of alcohol if you prefer.

17 comments:

Justin said...

wow, these look unbelievably good. And one of them is unbaked? holy cow. I need to try these out.

Sara said...

These look like they're worth the calories!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look really interesting. Hummm...

Bunny said...

I wish I could make these but unfortunately my family doesn't like coconut. Ok Dad doesn't like coconut which has trickled down to the kids. Sometimes that man....!

Lori said...

Justin- I love that they are unbaked too. I think that crust is better than the baked one.

Sara- indeed, they are.

Mary- I know. There are so many flavor possibilities.

Bunny- You can skip the coconut altogether. I was thinking of making one without the coconut as well.

kat said...

They look really nice so I can see they will make a good presentation at your shindig!

vibi said...

LOL LOL LOL I know exactly what you mean by... "getting back to the more fun stuff, being a bad attitude!" LOL Oh! Boy do I know! LOL

Granted nanaimo bars are truly more fun than most things in life anyways, wouldn't you agree?!!! LOL Totaly mouthwatering, Lori!

grace said...

mint for me, please. :)
keep up the good work, lori! i definitely know what you mean about the popcorn-movie situation--it happens to me quite a bit. :)

stephchows said...

Although they are fattening, one can't hurt :) Looks tasty!

Nancy Cook said...

These are one of my favorites as well - I have a girlfriend who lives in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island just two hours north of here- would be great to have such a fabulous sweet named after your hometown!

Anonymous said...

no way! those are too sinful for me. I'm trying to be good!

Selba said...

Very nice... would love to eat it!

Shelly said...

Oooooo..I want to try the non-baked style. If those were in my house right now I would be in so much trouble! ;) Yummmmm.
Answer to your question...the lady slipper isn't related to the bleeding hearts...lady slippers are a type of orchid.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

"Okay back to the fattening stuff because thats more fun. See, now that's a bad attitude."

Bad attitude?

It's the truth!

The Blonde Duck said...

25 lbs is a lot! Good for you!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Yay, for the weight loss! I'm certain its been tough but you're doing a great job! I'm happy for you. Baby steps, right?!

Btw, hope you had a fabulous mother's day!
~ingrid

Debbie said...

Way to go!! only eating two. I don't know that I could have done it.