Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mango Chutney



I have this tiny little jar of mango chutney in my pantry that I must have wanted a 100 times but didn't eat because I didn't want it to be gone. I know that is a little strange. It's not like I couldn't go and pick up another. Silly me. I was grocery shopping the other day and found mangoes for a dirt cheap price. I bought 14 of them. Yes, 14. I decided I had to make some mango chutney so I would no longer covet the chutney in my pantry.

On a side note, I was wondering when I bought those mangos if people eating only local produce will ever eat tropical produce again. I really try to eat locally for the most part but I really can not give up things like mangos and bananas. Does anyone else besides me think of these things when they are shopping?

I liked the chutney but I totally screwed up. I had some frozen pineapple juice, thawed it out on the counter and then poured it into the chutney. I tasted teh chutney and it was pretty sour. I tasted what was left in the measuring cup and much to my chagrin it was lemon juice, yikes. I decided to just add more brown sugar. In the end I think it worked okay because it sure disappeared at dinner.

Mango Chutney
adapted from this recipe by Alton Brown.

4 pounds firm fresh mangos, peeled (measurement taken after peeled and pitted)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon chile flakes
4 cups small dice red onion
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
8 ounces lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped pineapple
4 ounces cider vinegar
1 cup brown sugar (I increased the quantity largely due to the fact that I added lemon juice)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
Kosher salt and fresh ground white pepper
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Heat the oil and add the chili flakes. Once the oil has darkened a bit from the chili flakes add the onion and saute until soft. Add the mangos and the remainder of the ingredients except for the cranberries. Cook until mixture begins to thicken and mangos are tenderized. Add the dried cranberries and cook a few minutes more.

*Note: I would not can this because there is not enough acid in the mixuture. I have it in those canning jars to give to my friends. You can however freeze this.

This was a great taste with the ham we had for dinner.

6 comments:

grace said...

mmm...i love chutney--that sweet and tangy combination is the perfect accompaniment to so many things!
incidentally, i've also been saving one jar of my favorite spread (apple cinnamon pepper jelly) for the longest time. i can't bear to think of it not being there! :)

kat said...

I love mango chutney on a ham & cheese sandwich, yum.
I had to laugh because I was thinking the same thing about tropical fruit the other day. We try to eat as much local as we can but I would so miss bananas

Mary Bergfeld said...

I have a chicken dish I love and make from mango chutney. I, too, make my own chutneys. Those in the store are ridiculously expensive.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Lori, I'm one of those that likes to savor everything, too. Be it food, new clothing, or her new cuisinart food processor that she admired but didn't use for 2 plus years! :)

What's the difference between chutney, preserves, jams, and such?
~ingrid

Katy ~ said...

I LUV chutney. It's an underused condiument. I've been reading more and more chutney recipes lately because I love their spicy goodness! Big YUM on this Lori. I like to shop local when I can, but living in New England, at this time of year, I need to think regionally and then nationally if I went diversity in my diet.

Lori said...

Ingrid- 2 plus years, really? wow girl that is a long time.

The big difference with chutneys is that there is a sour element involved, usually vinegar but other things are used as well. So you end up usually with a sweet, salty, sourish type sauce. A lot of spices usually too. I hoep that helps.