Saturday, April 16, 2011

Elvis Banana Bread

 Got some of these yellow-ish beauties?
Make this Elvis Banana Bread.  Why Elvis?  Well, he really liked his peanut butter and banana sandwiches. (Ah, and bacon on that too- I did not do that here but I have to say I will try that sometime). For this rendition of banana bread, I decided to add some peanut butter chips as well as chocolate mini chips.  Why?  My husband is forever smearing peanut butter all over bananas and chomping them down like a madman.  I myself like a peanut butter and banana sandwich once in a while, sometimes toasted sometimes not (Sorry Elvis, I have never fried it).  Hmmm.  Haven't had one of those lovely sandwiches in a while... 

My kids went crazy over this bread.  Gone in one 24 hour period.

Elvis Banana Bread

1¾ c. unbleached flour
1½ c. granulated sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup mini chocolate chips
3/4 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup mashed overripe bananas
2 large eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Spray three mini loaf pans or muffin pans with cooking spray. Don't use a large loaf pan as it will not bake in the center.  If you desire one large cake, use a 13 x 9.

In a medium sized bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into large bowl.In a small bowl, combine mashed bananas, eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into flour ingredients and stir until just combined. Don't over stir.

Divide batter among loaf pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until deeply golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Possible Add Ins for future ones:  

-bacon bits
-a tablespoon to two of peanut butter to the mix

7 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

ohhh i want to make this! and eat it with tons of peanut butter! LOL

Robin said...

I never thought of peanut butter chips, good idea. My son loves banana bread but he would probably eat his bacon on the side, at least a pound of it anyway!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I've got to try this! I have several banana bread recipes and I love each one. It's one of my favorite foods to eat. Thanks for posting!

cocoa and coconut said...

This looks really good! I love banana bread but haven't experimented with it enough. Thanks Lori

kat said...

You know every now & then a crave a toasted peanut butter & banana sandwich myself, this would help with those cravings

The Daily Smash said...

These look great I just found your blog and had a grat time looking at past posts. You have some great ideas..

Check out my food blog
www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com
ashley

grace said...

i love elvis-inspired creations! that combo of ingredients is always a winner. he was the man.