Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Cinnamon Bars


Summer is full-on at our house.  Running around like a banchee, keeping the kids occupied so there is less fighting, doing chores at any moment we are home because the place looks like a cyclone hit it, freezing, preserving and canning at every opportunity I can because Harvest time is always fleeting and time is precious in the summer.  Dealing with some family health issues has also shortened my home time too.  At this moment I am pretty jazzed to have a moment to blog.

As if the last cinnamon bars were not good enough I had to make some again.  This time using a different recipe.  

I saw some similar bars on Pinterest.  They looked so good.  But I read that some people that they were oh so sweet so I changed it up a bit.  I am totally happy with the results. 

I just want to say I LOVE these bars.  Yes, I like the last ones too but these bars are less sweet and they have that melt in your mouth effect.

Cinnamon Bars

When I measure the brown sugar, I dip into the jar with my measuring cup and have it heaping then I press it against the side of the container.  So it isn't loose but it isn't really packed either.  I guess next time I make this I will weigh it for a more accurate amount.

2 3/4 cups flour
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 generous teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

cinnamon sugar topping:
2-3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

Mix dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In a large bowl beat butter and brown sugar together.  Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla.  Stir in dry ingredients. Spread into prepared 9 x 13 pan. Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Michelle in Colorado Springs said...

Cook for how long?

Lori said...

Michelle - thank you for pointing that out. I adjusted it the recipe