Thursday, April 2, 2015

Sweet Potato Hummus


I made some falafel last week along with some sweet potato hummus.  Love hummus, love sweet potatoes.  Why not?  My sister in law told me that she was making some.  I had a sweet potato in my fridge and decided I would make it too! Besides my brother was all jealous that she was making it and he wasn't there to eat it.  No worries bro, we will recreate it.

Here is a couple tips about sweet potato hummus.  One, it is a bit sweet so you want to balance it out with some heat.  For this sweetness reason not everyone liked it.  But the next day the people that didn't much care for it liked it a whole lot better. So tip number two, make it a day in advance.  Personally, I loved it. It was so creamy and delicious to me.

I have seen recipes where they say to add coriander.  While I love coriander I wasn't grooving on it the last time I added it to my hummus.  So not keen on it.  If you make it and add coriander, let me know, I would love to hear how it came out.

Sweet Potato Hummus

2 generous tablespoons of tahini
1 teaspoon sriracha salt*
1 1/2 cup sweet potatoes, cooked
1 can chick peas, drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 - 2 teaspoons cumin
juice of half to a whole lemon depending on your preference ( the acid also tones down the sweet from the sweet potato)

In a food processor, mince garlic first then add the remainder of the ingredients.  If you like your hummus more thin then add a little water. Or you could reserve the liquid from the chick peas and add a little of that in as well.

*If you do not have Sriracha salt just use either a pinch of cayenne (or red pepper flakes) plus a teaspoon of kosher salt. Up it according to your heat preference.  The heat sets off the sweet of the sweet potatoes rather nicely.

1 comment:

Colette (Coco) said...

Now, this I hadn't thought of.
Sounds scrumptuous. I must taste it!