Sunday, August 23, 2015

Peach Barbeque Sauce II



Last winter we gobbled up all of the peach barbeque sauce that I canned two years ago.  This year I knew I had to can more and I did.  The recipe is here.  But I also wanted to try this recipe from Williams Sonoma.  The fact that it had a cup of Worcestershire Sauce was certainly intriguing.  Normally I would have doubled the recipe but I gave it a go with a single batch.  There was a bout a 1/4 cup leftover and it was gobbled up like "snap".

I am making it again today.  I had enough fully ripe peaches to do another single batch.  I think it may be a great present for Christmas and hostess gifts.  I think there may be a third batch in my near future.

This stuff is not too vinegary, ever so slightly sweet and flavored perfectly.  I can not get over how amazing this stuff is.  For the original recipe go here, to Williams Sonoma.  I changed it up just a bit and really went into a lot more detail.

First of all, I weighed the peaches after they were scalded, skinned and pitted.  I wanted to maximize this and the original recipe was not all together too clear on that point.
Peach Barbeque Sauce
Slightly adapted from Williams Sonoma 

4 pounds of peaches that have been scalded, pitted and peeled
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup avocado oil
1 large onion (about a cup and a 1/4)
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar (the first time I used a combination of regular brown sugar and a tablespoon of molasses)
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup bourbon
1 cup Worscestershire Sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons peeled and grated ginger
2 tablespoons chili powder
salt and pepper to taste (about a 1/2 of a tablespoon each)

1. Scald peaches for about one minute, submerged in boiling water.  The skin will peel away easily. Slice and discard pit.  Weigh all the peaches. Pour lemon juice over top.
2.  Sauté onions in oil until translucent.  Add garlic.  Cook one minute more.

3. Add peaches to the onions.  Add in cider vinegar, bourbon, and sugar.  Simmer the mixture uncovered for 30 minutes.

4.  Let cool to blend or you can be like me and power through.  Just fill the blender 3/4 full, no more and place a towel over top, holding the lid down firmly with your hand.  This will keep the hot liquid inside and not jumping out at you and everything else.

5.  Add in the Worcestershire sauce, ginger, chili powder and tomato paste.  I add it all to the blender when I blend the last batch.

6.  Cook 10 minutes more, especially if you had let it cool previously.  A gentle simmer.

7.  Pour into clean canning jars, place lids on top and screw down with jar bands.  Turn tightly.  Place in canner.  Bring to a boil.  Keep simmer for 15 minutes to seal everything in.  You can use a make shift canner like me, using a deep pot with a towel on the bottom or a round cooling rack.  Of course I have a regular canner but I was too lazy to deal with it.

No comments: