Saturday, August 15, 2015

Raspberry Jam


This jam is so easy.  All you have to do is do equal parts mashed raspberries and sugar.

But I have to be different.  Only cause I made a mistake.  You see you bring the raspberries to a boil for two minutes.  Then you add the sugar and bring to a boil for another two minutes.  But, eh, I was in a hurry and didn't read the directions again.

You see my daughter had to get to the ice cream place for an ice cream cone and nothing was going to get in her way.  Mom we goin'?  Mom, when are we going?  Mom, is it time to go?  Mom, Mom, Mom.  You can only take that so many times before you are like, lets go!!!!!!  I have also said , we are not going because you bugged me one too many times.  But not tonight because I wanted Oregon Blackberry Ice Cream.  And it is all about me, right?  Cough, cough.  Hardly, when you are a Mom, you take this oath that from this day forward, it is always about your children.  Basically, until you die.  And really, I wouldn't have it any other way.  But they do also have to realize that I have needs... But I digress.  This about food, right?  Right?  It's not about the joys of parenting.  Right?

So, anyway.  I changed the recipe. Because I have some Dutch Gel.  Because I can. I get Dutch Gel from the Mennonite store that I go to.  I wanted to remember what I did for next year.

Raspberry Jam

3 cups mashed raspberries (this was about 24 ounces)
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup (generous) Dutch Gel

Mash the raspberries.  Measure equal parts sugar and raspberries.  Heat in a pot.  Bring to a boil.  When it is a rolling boil that you can't stir down, start the timer and time for 2 minutes.  Add in Dutch Gel.  Again.  Bring to a boil that you can't stir down for 2 minutes.  Pour into jars, leaving a 1/4 inch head space.  I use pints because we tend to use a lot of this kind of jelly and no sense wasting lids.

Place lids and rings on jars and turn upside down for ten minutes.  Place back in upright position.  They should seal at this point.  If they don't you can invert them again or give up and place in the refrigerator. If you don't feel comfortable with the upside down method, then process the jars for ten minutes.
 

No comments: