Thursday, September 17, 2015

Mothers Walnut Cake


I found this recipe years ago in a Taste of Home Magazine.  It was a hit at our house.  I have made it several times over the years. For some reason I thought I blogged about it.  When I went to get the recipe from my blog, I could not find it. Now, it is on my blog.  Here it is. 

You really must make this cake if you like walnuts.  It is so good.  Very rich, buttery and nutty tasting. If you like walnuts, this cake will have you at your first bite.

It is named Mother's Walnut Cake and ironically it is my Mothers favorite cake.
 

Mother's Walnut Cake
I have made it with all butter and the mix of butter with shortening too.  Either way- so good. I make a two layer cake and freeze the third layer for another day.
Source: Helen Vail, Glenside, Pennsylvania, Taste Of Home, pg. 35, March 1998 © 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC

cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups ground walnuts

frosting:
2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup butter, softened
5 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup walnuts

 

1.  In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla. Beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in the walnuts.

2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

3. For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl. Add sugar; mix well. Beat in vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.

No comments: