Monday, November 9, 2015

Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese


I found this recipe on Serious Eats and changed up according to what I had in the house.  This recipe is pure genius.  Since my kids like macaroni and cheese and I hate buying the boxed kind, this is a great replacement.  Honestly, I don't think I have bought the "boxed kind" since 2005.  Seriously.

Skillet Macaroni


1 pound macaroni
Kosher salt
One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon Frank’s Red Hot Sauce or other hot sauce
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 pound extra-sharp cheddar, grated (see note above)
8 ounces American cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (see note above)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
6 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 chunks

1.   Cook macaroni until al dente.  Drain. Return to pot. Add butter

2.   While macaroni is cooking, whisk together milk, salt, eggs. Franks red hot sauce, dry mustard and corn starch.  Stir in shredded cheese.

3.   Once pasta is done and you have added your butter, mix in the milk and cheese mixture.  Turn flame on low and stir until cheese is melted and most of milk is absorbed.


No comments: