Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Buttermilk Waffles

  
Sometimes I wonder if I should give up blogging just because I have so many pictures of food clogging up my computer memory.  Then there are a ton of other reasons that anyone who blogs knows.  The time factor and the scheduling of that time.  I do my best to keep up.  For the most part blogging has become my habit.  I started in January of 2008.  Eight years!  I can hardly believe it sometimes.

I have been away in Paducah KY for a Quilt Show.  If you are into quilting, you know this is a pretty big show.  You can read all about it on my blog, Craftication, as soon as I write it...

Anyway, after a week of nothing, I am here to tell you about these amazing waffles.

I found this recipe on Serious Eats, one of my favorite sites.  Such a diversity of food, well written, easy to find recipes, clean looking and good recipes that come out like they say they are going to. This recipe is no exception to the good recipes I find there.  It delivered a great waffle.  I am pretty sure it will be my go to waffle from now on.

I am not a syrup girl, too sweet for the morning in my opinion.  I love a waffle covered in an over easy egg or two with a little bit of butter.  Heavenly.

The only drawback of this recipe is that not everyone has a vanilla bean laying around.  You can substitute vanilla extract though.  This time I did mine with the bean. Next time it will be with the extract because when my children cover it in maple syrup anyhow the vanilla gets a little lost.  A big expense for them not to even notice.  If you eat them plain though, I would totally make them with a the vanilla bean pod.

Buttermilk Vanilla Waffles
From this recipe at Serious Eats.

1 1/3 cup (185 grams) flour
1/4 cup (45 grams) powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cup (395 grams) buttermilk
3 tablespoons (40 grams)  butter
2 large egg whites
1 vanilla bean scraped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients, set aside.  Mix wet ingredients.  Pour the wet into the dry and whisk all together. No need to beat the egg white prior to their addition.

Make sure your waffle iron is hot and ready to go.

I found they took about five minutes on my waffle machine.

No comments: